Monday, April 4, 2011

"She walks in beauty, like the night"

April is National Poetry month, and seeing how poetry is the only Major/Minor at Uni that I have actually kept whilst changing all the others weekly; I decided to share some of my favorite Poets and their work throughout the month.  Mom; I know you are going to want to skip these - don't!  There will be a quiz - and I promise you that you will enjoy them!  The 1st poem for the month just happens to be my favorite poem ever, written by one of my most beloved Poets. I have memorized this and love to quote it obsessively so you might have heard a line or two before.  Enjoy.

CLXXIII. "She walks in beauty, like the night"

SHE walks in beauty, like the night 
Of cloudless climes and starry skies, 
And all that's best of dark and bright 
Meets in her aspect and her eyes; 
Thus mellow'd to that tender light         5
Which Heaven to gaudy day denies. 
  
One shade the more, one ray the less, 
Had half impair'd the nameless grace 
Which waves in every raven tress 
Or softly lightens o'er her face,  10
Where thoughts serenely sweet express 
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place. 
  
And on that cheek and o'er that brow 
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent, 
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,  15
But tell of days in goodness spent,— 
A mind at peace with all below, 
A heart whose love is innocent.


*Lord Byron


No comments:

Post a Comment